Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chicken, Preserved Lemon and Pea Pasta

After 40 long days of preserving my lemon, today was the day I opened up the jar to use it in a dish I had been waiting to cook ever since. Upon opening the jar I discovered a beautiful lemon aroma like no other, as I pulled out half the lemon to use.

The actual lemon was slightly greasy, yet waxy, and the concentrated taste was so fresh and pungent. I was so pleased with the outcome and I'm now looking forward to preserving many more citrus fruits in the future! The meal was a success, measured in that everyone came back for seconds.

Unfortunately there were no chives available, so I substituted for parsley. When I make this dish again I would not use parsley as it was too overpowering. It would be best to leave the chives out, rather than add a different herb to compensate.

 Frangipani candle...nothing like some good wine and candlelight to help me get in the mood for cooking!






The preserved lemon out of the jar....

 Preserved lemon rind, diced.



Preserved lemon vs fresh lemon.

 A handful of parsley....


Served with parmesan cheese.

Serves 4 - 6

  • 1/2 barbecued chicken
  • 500g tagliatelle, spaghetti or fettucine
  • 1 cup frozen peas 
  • Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
  • 1/4 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, finely grated 
  • 3/4 cup white wine
  • 2 tbs chopped preserved lemon rind (white pith and flesh discarded)
  • 80g pine nuts
  • Chives (I had to use parsley)
  • Grated parmesan, to serve
  1. Shred the barbecued chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones. Set aside.
  2. Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water according to packet instructions,adding the peas for the final 2 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, add lemon juice, preserved lemon, oil and garlic to a large pan. Stir over heat for 30 seconds. Add chicken, pine nuts and wine and cook down for 2 minutes.
  4. Drain the pasta and peas and add to the pan along with the parsely, tossing until well combined. Serve with parmesan.



1 comment:

  1. That looks like my kind of pasta dish. I don't know if I could wait 40 days to use the lemon though!

    ReplyDelete